BY Julie Bolcer
October 05 2009 9:00 AM ET
Pop star Lady Gaga announced over the weekend that she would attend the
National Equality March in Washington, D.C., telling a crowd in New
York City that the event is “not a fucking joke.”
Lady Gaga delivered her rallying cry at a late-night fund-raiser for the National Equality March, according to the blog Towleroad. She spoke after her appearance on Saturday Night Live, during which she performed two songs and staged a mock catfight with Madonna.
Perhaps the hair pulling between the divas accounted for her slight mislabeling of the march scheduled for this Sunday.
“Next week is the gay pride march, and I know that I’m going to be there marching with all of you,” said the leather- and vinyl-clad Gaga.
"I really believe in this cause, and as a woman in pop music I think that this is really an important weekend, and it's not a fucking joke,” said Gaga. “So get your asses to D.C. and wear something fabulous, and I'll see you guys there."
- Op-ed: HIV Is No Longer A Death Sentence But It Still Isn't Easy
- WATCH: Gay Teen Explains What Bible Really Says
- Op-ed: Miley's Date Proves Homelessness Is the Real Crime
- 7 Brave Campuses for LGBT Students in the South
- Op-ed: In The Long Run, Michael Sam Being Cut Was About Homophobia
- Reports: Dallas Cowboys Eye Michael Sam for Practice Squad