BY Julie Bolcer
October 05 2009 9:00 AM ET
Pop star Lady Gaga announced over the weekend that she would attend the
National Equality March in Washington, D.C., telling a crowd in New
York City that the event is “not a fucking joke.”
Lady Gaga delivered her rallying cry at a late-night fund-raiser for the National Equality March, according to the blog Towleroad. She spoke after her appearance on Saturday Night Live, during which she performed two songs and staged a mock catfight with Madonna.
Perhaps the hair pulling between the divas accounted for her slight mislabeling of the march scheduled for this Sunday.
“Next week is the gay pride march, and I know that I’m going to be there marching with all of you,” said the leather- and vinyl-clad Gaga.
"I really believe in this cause, and as a woman in pop music I think that this is really an important weekend, and it's not a fucking joke,” said Gaga. “So get your asses to D.C. and wear something fabulous, and I'll see you guys there."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 8 min 24 sec ago
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM