BY Julie Bolcer
October 05 2009 9:00 AM ET
Pop star Lady Gaga announced over the weekend that she would attend the
National Equality March in Washington, D.C., telling a crowd in New
York City that the event is “not a fucking joke.”
Lady Gaga delivered her rallying cry at a late-night fund-raiser for the National Equality March, according to the blog Towleroad. She spoke after her appearance on Saturday Night Live, during which she performed two songs and staged a mock catfight with Madonna.
Perhaps the hair pulling between the divas accounted for her slight mislabeling of the march scheduled for this Sunday.
“Next week is the gay pride march, and I know that I’m going to be there marching with all of you,” said the leather- and vinyl-clad Gaga.
"I really believe in this cause, and as a woman in pop music I think that this is really an important weekend, and it's not a fucking joke,” said Gaga. “So get your asses to D.C. and wear something fabulous, and I'll see you guys there."
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Hundreds Attend Satanic Statue Unveiling in Detroit Despite Terrorist Threats
- Franklin Graham: Obama Promoting 'Immorality' by Supporting LGBT Rights in Kenya
- These Are the U.S. Trans Women Killed in 2015