BY Christopher Mangum
October 05 2009 2:30 PM ET
The German paper Extra Tipp is reporting that heretofore unknown director Marc Vorlander claims to be planning a sequel to Showgirls.
The project is currently known as Showgirls: Story of Hope. The title references the name of one of the original movie’s minor characters.
Actress Rena Riffel, who played Hope in the 1995 camp classic and more recently had a recurring role on the here! Networks series Dante's Cove, is set to reprise her role.
According to the paper, the plot involves Hope's brother’s search for revenge following the stripper's death from a dose of contaminated cocaine.
The original film is one of the worst-reviewed films in history but has become a camp classic for its girl-on-girl action and performances by stars Elizabeth Berkley and Gina Gershon.
According to Extra Tipp's interview with Vorlander, filming is scheduled to take place in Frankfurt, and the project will have a budget of €25 million (approximately $37 million U.S.).
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM