BY Christopher Mangum
October 05 2009 3:30 PM ET
The German paper Extra Tipp is reporting that heretofore unknown director Marc Vorlander claims to be planning a sequel to Showgirls.
The project is currently known as Showgirls: Story of Hope. The title references the name of one of the original movie’s minor characters.
Actress Rena Riffel, who played Hope in the 1995 camp classic and more recently had a recurring role on the here! Networks series Dante's Cove, is set to reprise her role.
According to the paper, the plot involves Hope's brother’s search for revenge following the stripper's death from a dose of contaminated cocaine.
The original film is one of the worst-reviewed films in history but has become a camp classic for its girl-on-girl action and performances by stars Elizabeth Berkley and Gina Gershon.
According to Extra Tipp's interview with Vorlander, filming is scheduled to take place in Frankfurt, and the project will have a budget of €25 million (approximately $37 million U.S.).
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- WATCH: The Moment Ireland Said 'Yes' to Marriage Equality
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy