BY Julie Bolcer
October 16 2009 9:55 AM ET
A friend of one of the suspects in last weekend’s brutal hate crime in Queens, N.Y., says that the assault was not a hate crime, and that the victim, an openly gay man, deserved the “beat down.” The friend proudly displays a tattoo of the Leviticus passage often used to condemn gay people.
Daniel Rodriguez and Daniel Aleman are charged with a hate crime in the assault of Jack Price early last Friday morning. The 49-year-old Price remained in a medically induced coma for days after the attack outside a deli, which was captured on video.
ABC 7 News spoke with Marcel Gelmi, a friend of Rodriguez, who said that Price had propositioned men in the neighborhood and blown his assailants a kiss, which justified what he called a “beat down.”
Gelmi also showed off a shoulder tattoo with the passage from Leviticus 18:22 that says, “Thou shall not lie with a male as one does with a woman. It is an abomination.”
According to Gelmi, the victim should not have complained.
"I mean, I don't want no man blowing me a kiss either. I mean, things happen," he said. "I've been beat up like that too, but you don't see me on the news and my family crying and this and that. Wounds heal."
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 6 min 33 sec ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 48 min 47 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 6 min ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 29 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 35 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 31 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 11:59 AM