BY Julie Bolcer
October 16 2009 9:55 AM ET
A friend of one of the suspects in last weekend’s brutal hate crime in Queens, N.Y., says that the assault was not a hate crime, and that the victim, an openly gay man, deserved the “beat down.” The friend proudly displays a tattoo of the Leviticus passage often used to condemn gay people.
Daniel Rodriguez and Daniel Aleman are charged with a hate crime in the assault of Jack Price early last Friday morning. The 49-year-old Price remained in a medically induced coma for days after the attack outside a deli, which was captured on video.
ABC 7 News spoke with Marcel Gelmi, a friend of Rodriguez, who said that Price had propositioned men in the neighborhood and blown his assailants a kiss, which justified what he called a “beat down.”
Gelmi also showed off a shoulder tattoo with the passage from Leviticus 18:22 that says, “Thou shall not lie with a male as one does with a woman. It is an abomination.”
According to Gelmi, the victim should not have complained.
"I mean, I don't want no man blowing me a kiss either. I mean, things happen," he said. "I've been beat up like that too, but you don't see me on the news and my family crying and this and that. Wounds heal."
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis
- Travel WeHo's Most Notorious Nudie Motel Going Mainstream 12 min 29 sec ago
- Women 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 24 min 26 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain - How Two Women Fall In Love 38 min 21 sec ago
- Russia Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis 40 min 31 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: Ark. Yearbook Cuts Profile of Gay Student 1 hour 23 sec ago
- Women WATCH: PLL's Shay Mitchell - 'Sometimes I'd Rather Kiss Another Girl' 1 hour 22 min ago
- Politics Ore. AG Rules 'Religious Freedom' Bill Title Must Say 'Discrimination' 1 hour 38 min ago