BY Advocate.com Editors
December 18 2009 12:45 PM ET
Washington, D.C., mayor Adrian Fenty signed the marriage equality bill into law Friday morning at the All Souls Church at a special ceremony.
The bill was passed earlier this week with Fenty's support in an 11-2 vote by the city council. After Fenty signs the bill, it will be transmitted to Congress for a 30-day review period.
D.C. is expected to be able to start marrying same-sex couples in early 2010.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender
- WATCH: Nebraska Woman Is Suing All 'Homosexuals' on Behalf of God