BY Advocate.com Editors
December 18 2009 12:45 PM ET
Washington, D.C., mayor Adrian Fenty signed the marriage equality bill into law Friday morning at the All Souls Church at a special ceremony.
The bill was passed earlier this week with Fenty's support in an 11-2 vote by the city council. After Fenty signs the bill, it will be transmitted to Congress for a 30-day review period.
D.C. is expected to be able to start marrying same-sex couples in early 2010.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Lesbian Couple Allegedly Beaten After Kissing Outside Six Flags New England
- He Said, She Said: Privilege Check On I Am Cait
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star
- Freed From Iowa Jail, Black Trans Woman Meagan Taylor Speaks
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox