BY Advocate.com Editors
December 18 2009 12:45 PM ET
Washington, D.C., mayor Adrian Fenty signed the marriage equality bill into law Friday morning at the All Souls Church at a special ceremony.
The bill was passed earlier this week with Fenty's support in an 11-2 vote by the city council. After Fenty signs the bill, it will be transmitted to Congress for a 30-day review period.
D.C. is expected to be able to start marrying same-sex couples in early 2010.
- WATCH: Antigay Ky. Clerk Inadvertently Married This Queer Couple
- WATCH: 'Reporting Tonight: Thomas Roberts,' First Out Gay Man To Anchor Network News
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- Artist Spotlight: Jamil Hellu