BY Michelle Garcia
March 25 2010 6:30 PM ET
Constance McMillen may not be able to go to her Mississippi high school's prom
next week, but students in Mill Valley, Calif., are rolling out the red
carpet for her.
Sarah Schwartz, a senior at Tamalpais High School, sent McMillen and her girlfriend an invitation to her prom.
"Being in my senior year, I know how important it is to have a prom," Schwartz told the Marin Independent Journal. "To have that taken away because the people around you don't accept you didn't feel fair at all. I felt I needed to do something."
The Tamalpais High School prom will be held May 16. McMillen has yet to respond to the invite. Her school canceled its prom rather than let her bring her girlfriend, and she is not invited to a private alternative prom.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 39 min 2 sec ago
- Current Issue Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You 39 min 2 sec ago
- Current Issue The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue 39 min 2 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM