Initiative Seeks to Tax Gay Couples Equally
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 25 2010 7:30 PM ET
Backers of an initiative to tax the income of Washington State's top earners want to ensure that registered domestic partners are taxed at the same rate as married heterosexual couples.
Initiative 1077 would institute a tax for couples making more than $400,000 per year,or individuals earning $200,000 annually, according to the Associated Press. The initiative was filed with the secretary of state's office Friday by a group including the father of Microsoft's Bill Gates. Washington is one of the few states without a personal income tax.
The language of the bill was adjusted to accommodate gay and lesbian registered couples. The initial language may not have treated same-sex couples equally, affecting one partner who earns more than $200,000 even if the couple's income does not add up to $400,000.
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- 14 Stunning Photos of LGBT Military Personnel
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- PHOTOS: The Grime and Glam of Mid-1970s New York