Initiative Seeks to Tax Gay Couples Equally
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 25 2010 6:30 PM ET
Backers of an initiative to tax the income of Washington State's top earners want to ensure that registered domestic partners are taxed at the same rate as married heterosexual couples.
Initiative 1077 would institute a tax for couples making more than $400,000 per year,or individuals earning $200,000 annually, according to the Associated Press. The initiative was filed with the secretary of state's office Friday by a group including the father of Microsoft's Bill Gates. Washington is one of the few states without a personal income tax.
The language of the bill was adjusted to accommodate gay and lesbian registered couples. The initial language may not have treated same-sex couples equally, affecting one partner who earns more than $200,000 even if the couple's income does not add up to $400,000.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM