Editorial Calls LGBT Workers "Weirdos"
BY Michelle Garcia
April 26 2010 3:20 PM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation is issuing a call to action against The Washington Times for a Sunday editorial titled "Discrimination Is Necessary" with the subhead "Subjecting kids to weirdos undermines standards of decency."
The editorial starts with, "First-graders should not be forced into the classrooms of teachers undergoing sex changes. Religious broadcasters and faith-based summer camps should not be forced to hire cross-dressers. Women should not be forced to share bathrooms with people with male body parts who say they want to be females."
The editors warn that these situations could all happen because of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which the House Education and Labor Committee is expected to vote on this week.
GLAAD saysTimes staffers are resorting to such statements because they've "lost the argument, and they know the facts are not on their side." GLAAD also cites a Gallup poll, showing that public support for nondiscrimination laws is up to 90% among Americans.
The organization is calling on people to sign a petition for a vote on an inclusive ENDA and learn more about the proposed legislation.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 34 min 16 sec ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 47 min 40 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM