Editorial Calls LGBT Workers "Weirdos"
BY Michelle Garcia
April 26 2010 2:20 PM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation is issuing a call to action against The Washington Times for a Sunday editorial titled "Discrimination Is Necessary" with the subhead "Subjecting kids to weirdos undermines standards of decency."
The editorial starts with, "First-graders should not be forced into the classrooms of teachers undergoing sex changes. Religious broadcasters and faith-based summer camps should not be forced to hire cross-dressers. Women should not be forced to share bathrooms with people with male body parts who say they want to be females."
The editors warn that these situations could all happen because of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which the House Education and Labor Committee is expected to vote on this week.
GLAAD saysTimes staffers are resorting to such statements because they've "lost the argument, and they know the facts are not on their side." GLAAD also cites a Gallup poll, showing that public support for nondiscrimination laws is up to 90% among Americans.
The organization is calling on people to sign a petition for a vote on an inclusive ENDA and learn more about the proposed legislation.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM