Editorial Calls LGBT Workers "Weirdos"
BY Michelle Garcia
April 26 2010 3:20 PM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation is issuing a call to action against The Washington Times for a Sunday editorial titled "Discrimination Is Necessary" with the subhead "Subjecting kids to weirdos undermines standards of decency."
The editorial starts with, "First-graders should not be forced into the classrooms of teachers undergoing sex changes. Religious broadcasters and faith-based summer camps should not be forced to hire cross-dressers. Women should not be forced to share bathrooms with people with male body parts who say they want to be females."
The editors warn that these situations could all happen because of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which the House Education and Labor Committee is expected to vote on this week.
GLAAD saysTimes staffers are resorting to such statements because they've "lost the argument, and they know the facts are not on their side." GLAAD also cites a Gallup poll, showing that public support for nondiscrimination laws is up to 90% among Americans.
The organization is calling on people to sign a petition for a vote on an inclusive ENDA and learn more about the proposed legislation.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM