Texas GOP: Performing Gay Ceremonies Should Be Felony
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 19 2010 4:15 PM ET
Most would not expect the Texas GOP platform to be liberal, but many might be surprised that their agenda includes charging people who perform same-sex marriage ceremonies with a felony.
The Republican Party of the Lone Star State has released its platform, and it takes a hard line on illegal immigrants, gay people, and abortion. Aside from making the officiating of gay ceremonies a serious crime, Texas Republicans hope to repeal the health care bill, make English the official language of the United States, urge the state legislature to require voter identification (ostensibly at polls), ban stem-cell research, and require sonograms for women seeking abortions.
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Op-ed: The White Party and Gay Culture Need More Color