Texas GOP: Performing Gay Ceremonies Should Be Felony
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 19 2010 4:15 PM ET
Most would not expect the Texas GOP platform to be liberal, but many might be surprised that their agenda includes charging people who perform same-sex marriage ceremonies with a felony.
The Republican Party of the Lone Star State has released its platform, and it takes a hard line on illegal immigrants, gay people, and abortion. Aside from making the officiating of gay ceremonies a serious crime, Texas Republicans hope to repeal the health care bill, make English the official language of the United States, urge the state legislature to require voter identification (ostensibly at polls), ban stem-cell research, and require sonograms for women seeking abortions.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- World Record Bodybuilder Comes Out as Trans
- WATCH: CIA Contractor Details Antigay Harassment by Colleagues in War Zone
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- The 13 Biggest Trolls in Media
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding