Big Biz Pushes Lingle on Civil Unions
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 20 2010 2:05 PM ET
Hawaii governor Linda Lingle is expected to include the state’s civil unions bill — passed by the legislature in April — on a potential veto list today. The list doesn’t mean she’s decided to veto the bill, just that she’s considering doing so.
Lingle has until July 6 for her final decision. If she does not act, civil unions will then become law.
With the deadline just two weeks away, a number of big corporations are urging the governor to sign the bill, which would open civil unions to both same- and opposite-sex couples. Those businesses include the Hawaii Medical Service Association (the state’s largest health insurer), Time Warner Cable, Marriott International, Starwood Hotels & Resorts, March & McLennan Companies, and Aon Corp.
Their show of support, organized by the Human Rights Campaign, comes after The Hawaii Business Roundtable, made up of executiveswho
hope to promote economic vitality and “social health,” urged Lingle to
veto the bill.
"Time Warner Cable specifically prohibits all forms of discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered employees and offers full equality to all our employees," Time Warner's statement read. "While we are active members of the Business Roundtable [through local Oceanic Cable] and believe it to be a beneficial organization for the people of Hawaii, we do not agree with every decision that the Roundtable makes. This letter to Governor Lingle urging her not to support House Bill 444 is one such instance."
Time Warner Cable, Marriott International, Starwood Hotels & Resorts, and Aon Corp. all have a 100 percent rating from HRC's Corporate Equality Index.
"America's most successful business have been leaders in treating same-sex headed families with fairness and respect, so it's no surprise that they're speaking out loudly for civil unions in Hawaii," said HRC president Joe Solmonese.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 2 hours 34 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 2 hours 55 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM