Gay Couples Sue Alaska Over Tax Inequity
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 03 2010 5:25 PM ET
Three same-sex couples have sued the state of Alaska and the
municipality of Anchorage for denying them equal access to property tax exemptions
afforded to senior citizens and disabled veterans.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Alaska, which filed the suit, said that same-sex couples who are seniors or disabled vets currently receive a fraction of property tax exemptions totaling $150,000 available to married couples in the same situation.
Though the state has a constitutional ban on gay marriage, a 2005 Alaska supreme court decision ruled that denying access to health care for same-sex partners of state employees violated the state constitution's equal protection clause.
"Alaska law is clear that denying committed same-sex couples the same rights as married opposite-sex couples is unconstitutional," ACLU of Alaska attorney Tom Stenson said in a statement. "For senior couples and disabled vets, every bit of savings counts. These couples should not have to pay more taxes than other families."
Read more about the lawsuit here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 54 min 45 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 54 min 53 sec ago
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 2 hours 43 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 2 hours 35 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 11:56 AM