Reid Opponent Sharron Angle’s Antigay Questionnaire
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 06 2010 12:35 AM ET
The Republican nominee challenging Senate majority leader Harry Reid for his seat in Nevada believes gays should be barred from adopting children and opposes including sexual orientation in civil rights laws.
Sharron Angle’s answers to questions on those topics and more come from a four-page questionnaire she filled out for a conservative political action committee that has endorsed her candidacy.
Angle’s answers suggest she would be one of the most conservative members of Congress if elected. She also says she supports clergy endorsing candidates from the pulpit and discussion of religion in school, including the teacher’s right to "publicly acknowledge the Creator."
Perhaps most surprisingly, Angle also affirmed in the questionnaire that she would refuse political action committee funding "from those who are fundamentally opposed to [her] views on social issues." In further specificity, the question continued, "Intel Corporation supports equal rights for gays and offers benefits to partners of homosexual employees. Would you refuse funds from this corporate PAC?"
Angle checked yes.
A devout Southern Baptist, Angle says her religious beliefs inform her politics. Representatives from Reid’s campaign have called her views "radical" and "frightening."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 2 hours 41 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM