Reid Opponent Sharron Angle’s Antigay Questionnaire
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 06 2010 1:35 AM ET
The Republican nominee challenging Senate majority leader Harry Reid for his seat in Nevada believes gays should be barred from adopting children and opposes including sexual orientation in civil rights laws.
Sharron Angle’s answers to questions on those topics and more come from a four-page questionnaire she filled out for a conservative political action committee that has endorsed her candidacy.
Angle’s answers suggest she would be one of the most conservative members of Congress if elected. She also says she supports clergy endorsing candidates from the pulpit and discussion of religion in school, including the teacher’s right to "publicly acknowledge the Creator."
Perhaps most surprisingly, Angle also affirmed in the questionnaire that she would refuse political action committee funding "from those who are fundamentally opposed to [her] views on social issues." In further specificity, the question continued, "Intel Corporation supports equal rights for gays and offers benefits to partners of homosexual employees. Would you refuse funds from this corporate PAC?"
Angle checked yes.
A devout Southern Baptist, Angle says her religious beliefs inform her politics. Representatives from Reid’s campaign have called her views "radical" and "frightening."
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House