Gay Activists to Protest Sen. Diaz Fund-raiser
BY Julie Bolcer
August 10 2010 9:55 AM ET
Direct action group Queer Rising has released more details on its plan to protest a fund-raiser this Thursday for New York state senator Ruben Diaz, Sr., an antigay lawmaker whose reelection bid is being supported by state senate majority leader John Sampson.
Joe. My. God. offers more details on the protest in the Bronx based on the press release from Queer Rising:
“Queer Rising is outraged by New York State Senate Majority Leader John Sampson's decision to hold a fundraiser for anti-LGBTQ Senator Ruben Diaz of the Bronx on Thursday, August 12th. Senator Diaz led the Democratic revolt against Marriage Equality in the Senate last December, and he is a key target of a unified LGBTQ effort. In response, Queer Rising invites all to join us at ‘The Sampson & Diaz Bigot Gala’ paparazzi protest. ‘Queer Rising is in the business of holding people accountable for their anti-LGBTQ actions, attendees of this function are supporting a bigot and need to be exposed.’ Natasha Dillon, a founding member of Queer Rising.”
Members of Queer Rising want to shame Sampson and any other supporters of Diaz, whose Democratic primary opponent, Charlie Ramos, supports marriage equality. During a boisterous brunch meeting Saturday hosted by the Stonewall Democratic Club of New York City, Sampson defended his decision to back Diaz and Shirley Huntley of Queens, both among the eight Democrats who voted against the marriage equality bill that failed the state senate by a 38-24 margin last year. Sampson also refused to promise to bring the marriage equality bill to the floor for a vote in 2011.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion
- New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Travel S.F. Getting Its Own Rainbow Crosswalks 7 min 38 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 2 17 min 42 sec ago
- Media New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks 19 min 49 sec ago
- Youth School Bans Bullied Kid's My Little Pony Schoolbag 46 min 11 sec ago
- Transgender Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion 53 min 38 sec ago
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 59 min 46 sec ago
- Television How I Met Your Dad Adds Second Gay Character 1 hour 1 min ago