Wash. Signatures Back in Court
BY Julie Bolcer
August 12 2010 11:40 AM ET
Opponents of the expanded domestic-partnership law for same-sex couples in Washington returned to federal court Wednesday, and a judge ruled that petition signatures in favor of last year’s referendum on the law must stay sealed for now.
According to the Associated Press, “U.S. District Judge Benjamin Settle ruled Wednesday to extend a restraining order that bars public release of the signatures while the case moves forward. He said that if the names were disclosed before a hearing on the case, it would essentially make the case moot.”
A hearing is expected sometime later this year, according to the AP.
Last November, Washington voters approved a new domestic-partnership law when they voted yes on Referendum 71, which the law’s foes had worked to place on the ballot. Whether or not to release petition signatures in favor of the ballot measure became the subject of a protracted legal battle, with opponents saying that disclosure put them in danger.
In June the Supreme Court ruled that the release of petition signatures in general does not violate signers’ rights, but the high court left open the door for the Washington plaintiffs to argue their case about threats in the lower courts.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Lesbian Facing Felony for Same-Sex Relationship Says Daughter's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 min 15 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 52 min 40 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 1 hour 36 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 1 hour 48 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 2 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 2 hours 2 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 2 hours 3 min ago