Argentine Dies after Wedding
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 13 2010 11:45 PM ET
One of the first gay men to marry under Argentina’s new marriage equality law has died after falling ill at his wedding party, Bloomberg reports.
Nestor Berchot, 45, died early Friday morning after he and his husband, Gustavo Garcia, became the first gay couple to get married in the city of Mar del Plata. Berchot died after fainting during his wedding reception because of high blood pressure, according to the Buenos Aires newspaper Clarin.
Argentina last month became the first Latin America country to legalize marriage equality.
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Coming Out of the Closet in Front of the Cast of Mamma Mia
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses