Argentine Dies after Wedding
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 13 2010 11:45 PM ET
One of the first gay men to marry under Argentina’s new marriage equality law has died after falling ill at his wedding party, Bloomberg reports.
Nestor Berchot, 45, died early Friday morning after he and his husband, Gustavo Garcia, became the first gay couple to get married in the city of Mar del Plata. Berchot died after fainting during his wedding reception because of high blood pressure, according to the Buenos Aires newspaper Clarin.
Argentina last month became the first Latin America country to legalize marriage equality.
- EXCLUSIVE: Jennifer Hudson Raises Her Voice for Marriage Equality
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- PHOTOS: The Moving History of a Gay Jewish Congregation
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- In Their Own Words: Men of Color Explain Why They Take PrEP