HRC: Target Talks Break Down
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 16 2010 6:30 PM ET
Following protests over Target's donation of $150,000 to a
group supporting an antigay political candidate, the retailer has rejected
calls to donate an equal amount to gay-supportive candidates, according to the Human Rights Campaign.
Representatives of the HRC told the Los Angeles Times that talks broke down between the Minnesota-based chain and the gay rights group. The HRC was hoping to convince Target to remedy its donation to MN Forward, which used the money to support antigay Minnesota gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer, by contributing the same amount to pro-gay candidates.
"If their initial contribution
was a slap in the face, their refusal to make it right is a punch in the
gut, and that's not something that we will soon forget," said Joe
Solmonese, the group's president.
The HRC has vowed to donate $150,000 to organizations that support pro-gay candidates.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 2 hours 14 min ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM