HRC: Target Talks Break Down
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 16 2010 6:30 PM ET
Following protests over Target's donation of $150,000 to a
group supporting an antigay political candidate, the retailer has rejected
calls to donate an equal amount to gay-supportive candidates, according to the Human Rights Campaign.
Representatives of the HRC told the Los Angeles Times that talks broke down between the Minnesota-based chain and the gay rights group. The HRC was hoping to convince Target to remedy its donation to MN Forward, which used the money to support antigay Minnesota gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer, by contributing the same amount to pro-gay candidates.
"If their initial contribution
was a slap in the face, their refusal to make it right is a punch in the
gut, and that's not something that we will soon forget," said Joe
Solmonese, the group's president.
The HRC has vowed to donate $150,000 to organizations that support pro-gay candidates.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model