HRC: Target Talks Break Down
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 16 2010 7:30 PM ET
Following protests over Target's donation of $150,000 to a
group supporting an antigay political candidate, the retailer has rejected
calls to donate an equal amount to gay-supportive candidates, according to the Human Rights Campaign.
Representatives of the HRC told the Los Angeles Times that talks broke down between the Minnesota-based chain and the gay rights group. The HRC was hoping to convince Target to remedy its donation to MN Forward, which used the money to support antigay Minnesota gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer, by contributing the same amount to pro-gay candidates.
"If their initial contribution
was a slap in the face, their refusal to make it right is a punch in the
gut, and that's not something that we will soon forget," said Joe
Solmonese, the group's president.
The HRC has vowed to donate $150,000 to organizations that support pro-gay candidates.
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- Artist Spotlight: James Huctwith
- Federal Judges Rule Virginia Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- YouTube Couples Translate Same-Sex Love, #NoFilter
- Op-ed: NBC's Straight-Washing of John Constantine Is Bi Erasure
- Congresswoman Slams Science Magazine for Transphobic, Sexist Cover