Targeted N.Y. Lawmaker Gets Defensive
BY Julie Bolcer
August 26 2010 11:05 AM ET
New York state senator Bill Stachowski, a Democrat targeted by Fight Back New York for his vote against marriage equality, has dissed the PAC as an “out of state, single-issue organization" in robocalls to his Buffalo constituents.
Fight Back New York reports that Stachowski, who faces a tough primary challenge, is calling the same constituents who have been contacted by the pro-equality PAC. The incumbent left the message on answering machines.
“Let’s set the record straight about this group,” said Stachowski in the message. “Fight Back New York is only interested in one thing: My vote against gay marriage. No more. No less.”
While Fight Back New York targets Stachowski, other groups including the Empire State Pride Agenda and the Human Rights Campaign have endorsed his primary challenger, Tim Kennedy. Kennedy said he supports marriage equality, but his support from the state Conservative party, which calls for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, has prompted skepticism among some gay voters.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder May 24 2013 6:27 PM