Targeted N.Y. Lawmaker Gets Defensive
BY Julie Bolcer
August 26 2010 11:05 AM ET
New York state senator Bill Stachowski, a Democrat targeted by Fight Back New York for his vote against marriage equality, has dissed the PAC as an “out of state, single-issue organization" in robocalls to his Buffalo constituents.
Fight Back New York reports that Stachowski, who faces a tough primary challenge, is calling the same constituents who have been contacted by the pro-equality PAC. The incumbent left the message on answering machines.
“Let’s set the record straight about this group,” said Stachowski in the message. “Fight Back New York is only interested in one thing: My vote against gay marriage. No more. No less.”
While Fight Back New York targets Stachowski, other groups including the Empire State Pride Agenda and the Human Rights Campaign have endorsed his primary challenger, Tim Kennedy. Kennedy said he supports marriage equality, but his support from the state Conservative party, which calls for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, has prompted skepticism among some gay voters.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 min 59 sec ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 26 min 25 sec ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 40 min 49 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Flash Mob Gay Marriage Proposal in Central Park 52 min 18 sec ago
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 1 hour 14 min ago
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 1 hour 41 min ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 2 hours 37 min ago