Targeted N.Y. Lawmaker Gets Defensive
BY Julie Bolcer
August 26 2010 11:05 AM ET
New York state senator Bill Stachowski, a Democrat targeted by Fight Back New York for his vote against marriage equality, has dissed the PAC as an “out of state, single-issue organization" in robocalls to his Buffalo constituents.
Fight Back New York reports that Stachowski, who faces a tough primary challenge, is calling the same constituents who have been contacted by the pro-equality PAC. The incumbent left the message on answering machines.
“Let’s set the record straight about this group,” said Stachowski in the message. “Fight Back New York is only interested in one thing: My vote against gay marriage. No more. No less.”
While Fight Back New York targets Stachowski, other groups including the Empire State Pride Agenda and the Human Rights Campaign have endorsed his primary challenger, Tim Kennedy. Kennedy said he supports marriage equality, but his support from the state Conservative party, which calls for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, has prompted skepticism among some gay voters.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM