Kookaburra Song Loses the Word "Gay"
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 01 2010 6:30 PM ET
An Australian primary school has removed the word “gay” from the children’s folk song “Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree.”
According to The Herald Sun, officials at Cheltenham's Lepage Primary in Victoria have instructed students to sing “fun your life must be,” rather than the written “gay your life must be.”
Principal Garry Martin taught first grade students the song using an old tape. "It uses 'gay' and I just suggested to kids, 'Nowadays, that can mean different things, so let's just sing a fun old time,' " he said. "It was my decision to replace it. I guess that was hypersensitive of me."
But gay rights activists are taking offense, saying the principal is underestimating his students. I don't think that's a very good message for kids to have, particularly when they've been working really hard to bring in respect and diversity into schools," Crusader Hillis, from the LGBT activist group Also Foundation, told The Sun.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-Ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Forum Shows Key Role of Parents in Winning Rights for Gays and Lesbians in China
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 17 min 2 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 31 min 25 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 49 min 22 sec ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 1 hour 2 min ago
- Health New Campaign Inspires LGBT Americans to Take Advantage of Obamacare 2 hours 29 min ago
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 2 hours 36 min ago
- Women WATCH: Real-Life Girlfriends Bria & Chrissy on '10 Things Lesbians Do on Saturdays' 2 hours 38 min ago