Aide Linked to Foreign Sec. Hague Quits
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 01 2010 11:20 AM ET
The male aide who reportedly shared a hotel room with British foreign secretary William Hague (pictured left) during his general election campaign resigned Wednesday over "malicious" claims the two had shared an inappropriate relationship.
Hague issued an unusually personal statement to The Telegraph Wednesday morning denying any romantic involvement with adviser Christopher Myers (pictured right): “Any suggestion that the Foreign Secretary’s relationship with Chris Myers is anything other than a purely professional one is wholly inaccurate and unfounded.”
Hague said he was reacting to days of newspaper and Internet speculation about his relationship with Myers.
"He has now told me that, as a result of the pressure on his family from the untrue and malicious allegations made about him, he does not wish to continue in his position," the foreign secretary said.
Myers, 25, serves the Tory minister as a special adviser at the foreign office, a May appointment that generated criticism because the office already had two advisers.
Hague has been married to a woman since 1997.
The Hague denial comes just days after prisons minister Crispin Blunt came out and separated from his wife.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 2 hours 10 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM