Aide Linked to Foreign Sec. Hague Quits
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 01 2010 11:20 AM ET
The male aide who reportedly shared a hotel room with British foreign secretary William Hague (pictured left) during his general election campaign resigned Wednesday over "malicious" claims the two had shared an inappropriate relationship.
Hague issued an unusually personal statement to The Telegraph Wednesday morning denying any romantic involvement with adviser Christopher Myers (pictured right): “Any suggestion that the Foreign Secretary’s relationship with Chris Myers is anything other than a purely professional one is wholly inaccurate and unfounded.”
Hague said he was reacting to days of newspaper and Internet speculation about his relationship with Myers.
"He has now told me that, as a result of the pressure on his family from the untrue and malicious allegations made about him, he does not wish to continue in his position," the foreign secretary said.
Myers, 25, serves the Tory minister as a special adviser at the foreign office, a May appointment that generated criticism because the office already had two advisers.
Hague has been married to a woman since 1997.
The Hague denial comes just days after prisons minister Crispin Blunt came out and separated from his wife.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 1 hour 55 min ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 2 hours 31 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM