CBS Money Watch Tackles Gay Couples
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 03 2010 5:50 PM ET
With the overturning of Prop. 8 on the brain, CBS Money Watch contributor and retirement planner Steve Vernon is offering up a number of retirement planning considerations for gay and lesbian couples.
“As a retirement planning expert," Vernon says, "what concerns me is whether there are special retirement planning considerations gay couples may need to take into account.”
Chief among them, he explains, are pension plans that may not provide for partners, retirement and 401(k) plans that may default to a family member if a partner isn’t listed as a beneficiary, and hospital visitation forms which need to specify partners by name.
Vernon says it’s important to note that “the retirement planning considerations for unmarried straight couples and gay couples are very similar. You’ll need to pay attention to the details that are specific to your situation.”
- Kim Davis vs. the Internet
- WATCH: Dan Savage on Kentucky Clerk's Religious Double Standards
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 'Old Redneck Hillbilly' Husband of Kim Davis Has a Warning for Nosey People
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation