CBS Money Watch Tackles Gay Couples
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 03 2010 5:50 PM ET
With the overturning of Prop. 8 on the brain, CBS Money Watch contributor and retirement planner Steve Vernon is offering up a number of retirement planning considerations for gay and lesbian couples.
“As a retirement planning expert," Vernon says, "what concerns me is whether there are special retirement planning considerations gay couples may need to take into account.”
Chief among them, he explains, are pension plans that may not provide for partners, retirement and 401(k) plans that may default to a family member if a partner isn’t listed as a beneficiary, and hospital visitation forms which need to specify partners by name.
Vernon says it’s important to note that “the retirement planning considerations for unmarried straight couples and gay couples are very similar. You’ll need to pay attention to the details that are specific to your situation.”
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 25 min 41 sec ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 32 min 41 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 35 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 1 hour 52 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 2 hours 3 min ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 2 hours 7 min ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 2 hours 23 min ago