ChristWire's Apostles Speak
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 04 2010 1:00 PM ET
It doesn't take an astute reader to figure out that ChristWire.org is written more in the spirit of The Onion than Focus on the Family. The website was a sensation over the summer, thanks in part to its "educational" feature "Is My Husband GAY?" along with probing headlines like "Hurricane Earl Projected Path, Gay East Coast of America."
ChristWire's satirical creators remained anonymous until publication of a recent New York Times article, which identified the two founders as Bryan Butvidas, a 28-year-old software developer in Southern California, and Kirwin Watson, who is also 28 and works at an unspecified Kansas hospital.
“There’s just rampant idiocy in the media sometimes,” Watson said of ChristWire's raison d'être. “People watch their favorite news channels, don’t question it and will regurgitate it the next day at the office. That is no good at all.”
But who penned the now-infamous gay checklist for suspicious wives? That contributor, who writes under the pen name "Stephenson Billings," remains anonymous — even to ChristWire's founders. Or so they say.
Read the article here.
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Study Urges U.S. Military to Reconsider Ban on Transgender Personnel
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM