ChristWire's Apostles Speak
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 04 2010 1:00 PM ET
It doesn't take an astute reader to figure out that ChristWire.org is written more in the spirit of The Onion than Focus on the Family. The website was a sensation over the summer, thanks in part to its "educational" feature "Is My Husband GAY?" along with probing headlines like "Hurricane Earl Projected Path, Gay East Coast of America."
ChristWire's satirical creators remained anonymous until publication of a recent New York Times article, which identified the two founders as Bryan Butvidas, a 28-year-old software developer in Southern California, and Kirwin Watson, who is also 28 and works at an unspecified Kansas hospital.
“There’s just rampant idiocy in the media sometimes,” Watson said of ChristWire's raison d'être. “People watch their favorite news channels, don’t question it and will regurgitate it the next day at the office. That is no good at all.”
But who penned the now-infamous gay checklist for suspicious wives? That contributor, who writes under the pen name "Stephenson Billings," remains anonymous — even to ChristWire's founders. Or so they say.
Read the article here.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 41 min 52 sec ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 1 hour 3 min ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 1 hour 28 min ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 1 hour 43 min ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 47 min ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 1 hour 52 min ago