Robocall Targets Gay D.C. Pol
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 06 2010 12:40 PM ET
An anonymously released robocall went out to Washington, D.C., residents claiming that district council member Jim Graham, who is up for reelection this fall, paid for a woman's abortion.
Graham, who is gay, is running against Jeff Smith and Bryan Weaver. They said they have no connection to the calls.
"Jim Graham paid for an abortion for his male companion's chief of staff's girlfriend. It's no secret, as reported by a local newspaper," the call said. "Paying to take the life is evil, especially when you weren't even the parent. Jim Graham is wretched, immoral, and doesn't deserve to represent us. Let's get a decent human being to fight for our children, not kill them. Graham is sick and we can do better. Do not vote for Jim Graham.''
According to Metro Weekly, the calls were referring to Graham's ties to Ted Loza, his former chief of staff. Graham reportedly paid $3,200 for the abortion with his personal credit card and was repaid by Loza, who was arrested last year on federal bribery charges.
The D.C. primary election is to be held Tuesday, September 14.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Hillary Clinton's Kind Words to Gay Kid 'Afraid' for His Future
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- South Dakota AG: Clerks Can Refuse Same-Sex Marriage Licenses
- WATCH: Rick Santorum Thinks 'People Aren't Getting Married'
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed