BY Advocate.com Editors
September 20 2010 2:40 PM ET
Obama and the Gays: A Political Marriage, a new book by longtime Chicago-based journalist Tracy Baim, chronicles how the president’s views on LGBT issues have evolved over the years and what his administration has accomplished — and failed to accomplish — on these issues.
Baim’s book, the first to address Obama’s relationship with gay citizens, features dozens of interviews with Chicago and national gay movement leaders, plus contributions by other journalists and activists, including Advocate Washington correspondent Kerry Eleveld, Advocate contributor Michelangelo Signorile, Pam Spaulding, Wayne Besen, Andrew Tobias, and Phill Wilson. Senior editors are Toni Armstrong Jr., Jorjet Harper, and William B. Kelley.
The book is available via print on demand through Amazon.com and e-book readers as well as CreateSpace.
Baim, cofounder and publisher of Chicago LGBT newspaper Windy City Times, interviewed Obama during his 2004 U.S. Senate run and has covered a wide range of gay political issues for more than 26 years. She will read from and sign copies of the book at two Chicago locations: Women & Children First Bookstore, 5233 N. Clark St., October 20 at 7 p.m., and the Harold Washington Library, 400 S. State St., October 27 at 6 p.m.
Find out more here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 1 hour 45 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 1 hour 49 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM