Maj. Mike Almy Responds to McCain
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 22 2010 9:50 AM ET
Maj. Mike Almy, who was discharged from the Air Force on the basis of his private e-mails, appeared on The Rachel Maddow Show to refute Sen. John McCain's insistence to journalists that the military does not search such correspondence.
Following the McCain-led filibuster of an attempt to repeal "don't ask, don't tell" on Tuesday, the senator spoke withThe Advocate's Kerry Eleveld and Metro Weekly's Chris Geidner. He seemed to throw a tantrum as he insisted that the military does not search the private e-mails of gay and lesbian soldiers, despite evidence to the contrary.
Almy, who testified before senators including McCain in March, told Maddow he was "shocked" at the outburst.
"For him to make that statement today, that the military does not search private e-mails, tell me that he either didn’t listen to my testimony this past March, he forgot what I said, or he's being deliberately deceptive with the American public about the true nature of 'don't ask, don't tell' and using partisan politics over the interests national security,” said Almy.
McCain told Eleveld and Geidner that they should bring anyone who says otherwise to his office, and Almy said he would be happy to go.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 11 min 10 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 32 min 3 sec ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 34 min 57 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 47 min 39 sec ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 49 min 32 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 1 hour 7 min ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 1 hour 9 min ago