Polish Minister of Equality Accused of Homophobia
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 25 2010 12:40 PM ET
Poland's minister for equality has been accused of homophobia after outing a gay man on television while arguing over the right of Catholic school officials to fire gay teachers, reports European news website Pink News.
Elżbieta Radziszewska told Catholic newspaper Gosc Niedzielny she believes Catholic schools should be allowed to fire or refuse to employ gay or lesbian teachers, although she later said she would defend a teacher sacked from a state school for his or her sexual orientation.
On Tuesday Radziszewska appeared on a morning talk show show on TVN24 and angered many more people when she apparently outed Krzysztof Śmiszek, the deputy president of the Polish Society of Anti-Discrimination Law, while using him as an example of why cases should be treated individually.
“If, for example, Mr Śmiszek, in a situation when we know that he is a member of the homosexual society and an activist for the Campaign Against Homophobia and it's no secret who his partner is ... ” Warsaw Business Journal reports Radziszewska telling the morning show host.
“This is pure homophobia,” Śmiszek said to Polish newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza following the TV appearance. “In no other EU country would such a person still hold their post. I do not hide my sexual orientation, but it's my private business. My personal rights have been violated.”
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film Why is Behind the Candelabra Like Valley of the Dolls? 32 min 55 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 6:00 AM
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM