Atheists Beat Catholics on Religion
BY Michelle Garcia
September 28 2010 1:15 PM ET
Atheists, agnostics, Jews, and Mormons are more knowledgeable about religion than those following the Roman Catholic or Protestant faiths, according to a new study by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life released Tuesday.
Respondents were asked 32 questions ranging in difficulty about the tenets and fundamental foundations of different religious sects, according to the Associated Press. Atheists and agnostics scored the highest, with an average of 21 correct answers. Jews and Mormons averaged 20 correct answers. Protestants averaged 16 questions answered correctly, and Catholics trailed with 15.
More than half of the Protestants surveyed were not aware that Martin Luther was the person who inspired the Protestant Reformation. Less than half of Americans knew the Dalai Lama is Buddhist, and less than a quarter knew the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on religion in schools allowed public school teachers to read from the Bible for literature lessons.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Dallas Councilwoman Objects to "Homosexual Conduct" in HIV Testing Billboard
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Latest News
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood 39 min 52 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos 1 hour 3 min ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 2 hours 24 min ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 2 hours 42 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 2 hours 49 min ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 5:44 PM
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 5:33 PM