Archbishop: No Communion for Gay Allies
BY Julie Bolcer
October 06 2010 7:35 AM ET
Twin Cities Archbishop John C. Nienstedt denied communion to about 25 college students and gay activists last month because they were protesting the church’s stance on marriage equality.
According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the denial occurred during evening mass on September 26, with activists mostly from the Catholic St. John’s University and the College of St. Benedict.
“The St. John's action was coordinated by students, including members of People Representing the Sexual Minority (PRiSM), which represents gay and lesbian students and their friends and allies,” reports the Star Tribune. “That Sunday, according to those at the mass, about two dozen worshipers positioned themselves to receive communion from Nienstedt, who was saying his first student mass at the abbey. Some reached for the communion wafer but were denied it. Rather, the archbishop raised his hand in blessing.”
The incident follows the church’s decision to mail DVDs opposing marriage equality to 400,000 Catholics in Minnesota and asking them to vote for candidates who want a vote on the issue.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 7 min 20 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 30 min 12 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 37 min 40 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 45 min 45 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 48 min 20 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 56 min 28 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 2 hours 15 min ago