Paladino’s Gay Nephew Speaks Out
BY Julie Bolcer
October 13 2010 9:35 AM ET
Jeff Hannon, the 23-year-old gay nephew of
Carl Paladino (he also works for the campaign), spoke out Tuesday about his uncle’s antigay
remarks, saying that he was “very offended” by the comments.
According to the New York Post, “In a brief phone interview yesterday, Hannon, in his first public remarks on the incident, told the Post, ‘Obviously, I'm very offended by his comments.’”
The Post reported that Hannon has not reported for work at the Buffalo campaign headquarters since Sunday, the day his uncle told ultra-Orthodox Jewish leaders in Brooklyn that children should not be “brainwashed” into thinking homosexuality was an “equally valid or successful option.” He also criticized his Democratic opponent, Andrew Cuomo, for taking his children to the gay pride parade.
On Monday, Paladino adviser Roger Stone told The Advocate that Paladino, a wealthy Buffalo businessman, had embraced his nephew at a time in his life when other family members struggled with his sexual orientation.
As Paladinopalooza churned through day 3 in New York on Tuesday, the Republican gubernatorial candidate was greeted by gay protesters in New Paltz and Buffalo, who demanded that he apologize for his remarks, which he did in a statement later in the day.
Meanwhile, the Associated Press reports that state records show that Paladino once collected rent from two gay clubs located in buildings he owned in downtown Buffalo. One of them, called Cobalt, operated as a gay bar from 2004 to 2005 and was run by Paladino’s son, William.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 21 min 2 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 46 min 27 sec ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 1 hour 20 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM