Gay Dad Denied Scout Leadership Post
BY Julie Bolcer
October 16 2010 11:55 AM ET
A father in Dallas was denied a leadership position in his son’s Cub Scout pack because he is gay.
According to The Dallas Morning News, Jon Langbert learned this week that he would not be able to serve as a leader for his 9-year-old son’s Pack 70 at University Park Elementary after someone complained at a September meeting.
“He said he was told this week that he can't wear the Scout leader shirt he was given last year and that he cannot serve in a leadership position because of his sexual orientation,” reported the News.
Cub Scout spokespeople said that Langbert would be allowed to continue in his role as a popcorn fund-raiser, but Langbert said he may consider legal action. A 2000 Supreme Court decision upheld the Boy Scouts of America’s policy against gay or atheist leaders.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 10 min 36 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 38 min 30 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 59 min 23 sec ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 1 hour 2 min ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 1 hour 14 min ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 1 hour 34 min ago