Hate Crime Suspected at East Carolina University
BY Julie Bolcer
October 16 2010 4:30 PM ET
Two women assaulted early Friday outside a dormitory at East Carolina University may have been targeted because of their perceived sexual orientation. One victim remains hospitalized with a broken jaw.
According to the Daily Reflector, assistant ECU police chief Dawn Tevepaugh said police arrested an 18-year-old male ECU student and are seeking another man in connection with the assault at the Greenville campus. The two women, ages 18 and 19, are not students at the school.
“Officers arrested Tyler Hall resident Bryan Berg, 18, and charged him with assault on a female after he allegedly punched one of the women in the jaw,” reported the Reflector. “They are searching for a second man who was identified and have questioned a third man as a witness, Tevepaugh said.
“Officers are continuing their investigation to determine whether the assault should be characterized as a hate crime because of the perceived sexual orientation of the women, Tevepaugh said. Comments also might have been made to them precipitating the reported assault, she said.”
The women were exiting a dorm around 2:15 a.m. when they were assaulted by at least two men, the Reflector reported.
Berg was released from the Pitt County Detention Center on $27,000 unsecured bond.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM