Walmart Sells "Ex-Gay" Kids Book
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 18 2010 1:10 PM ET
More than 100 Walmart stores are selling a book for kids and parents that suggests gay people can overcome “sin” and convert to heterosexuality with the help of counseling, according to Q Salt Lake.
Chased by an Elephant: The Gospel Truth About Today’s Stampeding Sexuality is written by Janice Barrett Graham, whose husband, Stephen, runs the antigay group Standard of Liberty.
In the book’s introduction Graham says she wrote the book to “help shed the clear light of truth on today’s dark and tangled ideas about male and female, proper gender roles, the law of chastity, and the God-given sexual appetite.”
Graham’s son Andrew claims he successfully changed his sexual orientation and is now a happily married man. In his book Captain of My Soul, Andrew Graham writes that he was “lured into same gender internet pornography during his high school years, and recruited into cursory homosexual experimentation with older men while at Brigham Young University.”
For the last two years, Walmart has scored just 40% on the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index.
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- The 'Ex-Gay' Candidate for Missouri Governor
- Queer Women in Their 30s Give Advice to Their 20-Something Selves
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding