Walmart Sells "Ex-Gay" Kids Book
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 18 2010 12:10 PM ET
More than 100 Walmart stores are selling a book for kids and parents that suggests gay people can overcome “sin” and convert to heterosexuality with the help of counseling, according to Q Salt Lake.
Chased by an Elephant: The Gospel Truth About Today’s Stampeding Sexuality is written by Janice Barrett Graham, whose husband, Stephen, runs the antigay group Standard of Liberty.
In the book’s introduction Graham says she wrote the book to “help shed the clear light of truth on today’s dark and tangled ideas about male and female, proper gender roles, the law of chastity, and the God-given sexual appetite.”
Graham’s son Andrew claims he successfully changed his sexual orientation and is now a happily married man. In his book Captain of My Soul, Andrew Graham writes that he was “lured into same gender internet pornography during his high school years, and recruited into cursory homosexual experimentation with older men while at Brigham Young University.”
For the last two years, Walmart has scored just 40% on the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM