Homophobia Greets Soldier's Return to Army
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 23 2010 12:50 PM ET
A former soldier attempted to reenlist at a recruitment center in Long
Beach, Calif., only to be exposed to an antigay conversation by
recruiters in the office.
A.J., known for the popular YouTube channels The Beaver Bunch and Ask A.J. Anything, went to her local recruiter's office on Wednesday to return to the Army. However, once she was taken into an office by a female recruiter, she said she could overhear blatantly homophobic jokes coming from the common area occupied by male recruiters.
"I fully understood that it was ‘safe’ to out myself to my recruitment officer, but that once I was officially enlisted, I was instantly back under the DADT policy, and I was fine with that," she told Autostraddle.com
Read the full account here.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word