Homophobia Greets Soldier's Return to Army
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 23 2010 11:50 AM ET
A former soldier attempted to reenlist at a recruitment center in Long
Beach, Calif., only to be exposed to an antigay conversation by
recruiters in the office.
A.J., known for the popular YouTube channels The Beaver Bunch and Ask A.J. Anything, went to her local recruiter's office on Wednesday to return to the Army. However, once she was taken into an office by a female recruiter, she said she could overhear blatantly homophobic jokes coming from the common area occupied by male recruiters.
"I fully understood that it was ‘safe’ to out myself to my recruitment officer, but that once I was officially enlisted, I was instantly back under the DADT policy, and I was fine with that," she told Autostraddle.com
Read the full account here.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- Lesbian Couple Worries Antigay Slur on Google Maps is a Hate Crime
- Robbie Rogers's Memoir Kicks Around Depression, Redemption, And Coming Out