Homophobia Greets Soldier's Return to Army
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 23 2010 12:50 PM ET
A former soldier attempted to reenlist at a recruitment center in Long
Beach, Calif., only to be exposed to an antigay conversation by
recruiters in the office.
A.J., known for the popular YouTube channels The Beaver Bunch and Ask A.J. Anything, went to her local recruiter's office on Wednesday to return to the Army. However, once she was taken into an office by a female recruiter, she said she could overhear blatantly homophobic jokes coming from the common area occupied by male recruiters.
"I fully understood that it was ‘safe’ to out myself to my recruitment officer, but that once I was officially enlisted, I was instantly back under the DADT policy, and I was fine with that," she told Autostraddle.com
Read the full account here.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Report: Couple Refuses Deal in Torture Case
- WATCH: Bianca Del Rio and Adore Delano Star in Starbucks' First LGBT Commercial
- 20 Touching, Funny, and Silly Twitter Reactions to Tim Cook's Coming-Out
- Tim Cook: Being Gay Has Helped Me Lead Apple
- LISTEN: Edie Windsor's Message for Fla. Gov. Rick Scott