Duane Arrested at HIV Die-in
BY Michelle Garcia
November 09 2010 6:55 PM ET
Eighteen people were arrested Tuesday, including New York state senator Thomas
Duane, protesting Gov. David Paterson's veto of a bill that would have
ensured that low-wage earners with HIV would spend no more than 30% of
their salary on rent.
Protesters staged a die-in along Broadway near City Hall in Manhattan, blocking all traffic, shortly after 200 people rallied outside of the landmark.
Paterson blocked the bill at the urging of New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg. Both agreed that the mandate would be a financial burden on the city, while activists say the bill would affect about 10,000 New Yorkers.
According to the NYC AIDS Housing Network, the governor said he vetoed the bill with the intention of working with the state legislature on a similar but less expensive policy.
Senator Duane introduced the original bill, and according to WNYC, several elected officials and AIDS organizations have asked the governor to reverse his veto before leaving office.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 20 min 41 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM