Senate Committee Schedules DADT Hearings
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 24 2010 1:15 PM ET
As the Pentagon is slated to release its months-long study on the
effects of "don't ask, don't tell" repeal on the military, the Senate Armed
Services Committee will hold two days of hearings on the repeal bill next week.
Scheduled to speak December 2 are Defense secretary Robert M. Gates, Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman admiral Mike Mullen, Defense Department general counsel Jeh Johnson, and Army general Carter Ham, The Washington Post reports. Johnson and Ham are the cochairmen of the Pentagon Working Group, which led the study.
The following day's lineup includes Joint Chiefs of Staff vice chairman general James E. Cartwright, Army chief of staff general George W. Casey Jr., Naval chief of operations admiral Gary Roughead, Marine commandant general James F. Amos, and Air Force chief of staff general Norton A. Schwartz.
The Pentagon's report, due Tuesday, has been the sticking point for several senators who have said they would not make their stance on the repeal legislation public until after reading it.
For more on "don't ask, don't tell," watch Advocate Washington correspondent Kerry Eleveld's first episode of A View From the Hill:
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 56 min 38 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM