Coach Ousted for Pregnant Partner
BY Michelle Garcia
December 03 2010 2:10 PM ET
Belmont University's women's soccer coach stepped down from
her job amid pressure from school officials after announcing she and her partner were having a baby.
Athletics Director Mike Strickland said coach Lisa Howe left of her own volition, but team members told The Tennessean of Nashville that she resigned after she gave the news to administrators.
A senior on the team said Howe had asked the athletics department whether she could disclose to her players that her partner was due to give birth to their child in May 2011. Instead, Howe was met with an ultimatum: Resign or be fired from the Nashville school.
Strickland allegedly told team captain Sari Lin on Tuesday that her coach violated an unspoken "don't ask, don't tell" policy about sexuality.
"She was telling us what her sexual preference is," Lin said to The Tennessean. "He said you can hide your sexuality, but you can't hide a baby. He pretty much told me that once the baby was born, she was going to get fired anyway, so it's better to do it sooner than later."
The Tennessee Human Rights Act does not cover discrimination based on sexual orientation.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS What Do You Do When You Find Out You Have HIV? March 12 2014 7:06 PM