Gene Robinson on the Bible, Homosexuality
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 07 2010 7:20 PM ET
The Right Reverend V. Gene Robinson, who will retire in 2013 after making history as the first openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Church, has some fighting words for religious conservatives who quote Bible verse to justify disapproval of gays and lesbians.
"We cannot ... isolate these passages about homosexual acts and impute
to them the kind of enduring authority which we ascribe to nothing
before or after," Robinson writes of Old Testament prohibitions against homosexuality in a guest post for The Washington Post's religion blog, On Faith.
"One has to wonder why the biblical literalists who cite this passage
against homosexuality don't seem to go all the way and advocate for
death as the punishment for homosexual behavior! We cannot have it both
ways," Robinson writes.
Read the full post here.
- BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 3 min 38 sec ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 16 min 38 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 37 min 16 sec ago
- Youth BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 56 min 26 sec ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 hour 3 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 1 hour 28 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 1 hour 42 min ago