Antigay Group: DADT Will Be Back
BY Neal Broverman
December 20 2010 5:45 PM ET
The head of the fiercely antigay group Liberty Counsel is steaming mad about the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" and says he will push the next Congress to bring the ban on openly gay soldiers back to life.
The lobbying group, with offices in Florida, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., sent out an action alert Monday. After thanking its members for sending 6.1 million "message units" to politicians demanding that DADT stand, Liberty chairman Mathew Staver (pictured) writes, "Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi have totally disgraced their respective offices throughout the 111th Congress, and their handling of this vital issue is just the most recent example of their betrayal of the public trust.
"Reflecting on this battle, I can assure you there will be many more opportunities to confront pro-homosexual activists in the legal and legislative arenas. I feel certain these radical groups have already picked their next target in their ongoing efforts to force their perverse will on America. The war is far from over. Here's our message to our armed forces: 'Take heart, because the American people will not allow this travesty to stand.'"
A recent poll found that eight out of 10 Americans supported the repeal of DADT. Regardless, the Liberty Council is pledging to resuscitate the policy.
"This action will be overturned in the next Congress because it breaks the bond of trust that must exist between the military and those who oversee the armed forces in the Pentagon and Congress. We will ask the House to defund the repeal of DADT. Then we will work to get fresh voices in the Senate and move to reinstate the law.
"We promise a full mobilization of faith-based and policy organizations, veterans, and military families in the states of every Senator who voted for repeal of DADT against the advice of our service chiefs."
Staver also offers a warning to President Obama, who is set to sign the repeal into law Wednesday. "President Obama himself will also pay a price, and will see that the insatiable demands of the homosexual community will only increase."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 33 min 56 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 49 min 39 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 6 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 24 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 26 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 56 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 49 min ago