Antigay Group: DADT Will Be Back
BY Neal Broverman
December 20 2010 5:45 PM ET
The head of the fiercely antigay group Liberty Counsel is steaming mad about the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" and says he will push the next Congress to bring the ban on openly gay soldiers back to life.
The lobbying group, with offices in Florida, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., sent out an action alert Monday. After thanking its members for sending 6.1 million "message units" to politicians demanding that DADT stand, Liberty chairman Mathew Staver (pictured) writes, "Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi have totally disgraced their respective offices throughout the 111th Congress, and their handling of this vital issue is just the most recent example of their betrayal of the public trust.
"Reflecting on this battle, I can assure you there will be many more opportunities to confront pro-homosexual activists in the legal and legislative arenas. I feel certain these radical groups have already picked their next target in their ongoing efforts to force their perverse will on America. The war is far from over. Here's our message to our armed forces: 'Take heart, because the American people will not allow this travesty to stand.'"
A recent poll found that eight out of 10 Americans supported the repeal of DADT. Regardless, the Liberty Council is pledging to resuscitate the policy.
"This action will be overturned in the next Congress because it breaks the bond of trust that must exist between the military and those who oversee the armed forces in the Pentagon and Congress. We will ask the House to defund the repeal of DADT. Then we will work to get fresh voices in the Senate and move to reinstate the law.
"We promise a full mobilization of faith-based and policy organizations, veterans, and military families in the states of every Senator who voted for repeal of DADT against the advice of our service chiefs."
Staver also offers a warning to President Obama, who is set to sign the repeal into law Wednesday. "President Obama himself will also pay a price, and will see that the insatiable demands of the homosexual community will only increase."
- BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 16 min 54 sec ago
- Youth BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 36 min 4 sec ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 43 min 16 sec ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 1 hour 7 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 1 hour 22 min ago
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Flash Mob Gay Marriage Proposal in Central Park 1 hour 33 min ago
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 1 hour 55 min ago