Iowa Gov. on Judicial Oustings: No Comment
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 29 2010 11:55 AM ET
Iowa governor-elect Terry Branstad said he's "got enough on [his] plate"
to worry about and won't opine on three state legislators' efforts to impeach the four remaining Iowa supreme court justices who ruled last year in favor of marriage equality.
The incoming Republican governor has called on the state legislature to begin the process for a popular vote on a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, but declined comment as to whether the four justices should be removed through impeachment, Radio Iowa reports. “The governor doesn’t have a role in that,” Branstad said.
Groups including the National Organization for Marriage, the Family Research Council, and the American Family Association launched a successful $1 million campaign against three of the state's justices who were up for retention votes in November. Justices Marsha Ternus, Michael J. Streit, and David L. Baker were all voted off the bench.
Read the article here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Style Hairy Hose for Hairless Bros? 8 min 52 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality 42 min 12 sec ago
- Style WATCH: How to Dress For Summer 47 min 49 sec ago
- Fitness A Workout Especially for HIV-Positive People 1 hour 20 min ago
- Music Austra's Summer Soundtrack 1 hour 33 min ago
- Books James Franco's A California Childhood: Win Signed Copy 1 hour 40 min ago
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 2 hours 10 min ago