Chi. Mayoral Field Thins
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 31 2010 9:05 PM ET
Former U.S. senator and ambassador Carol Moseley Braun, who has a record of supporting LGBT rights, has emerged as the consensus black candidate in the Chicago mayoral race.
U.S. representative Danny Davis, another gay-friendly black mayoral hopeful, announced at a press conference Friday evening that he was dropping out of the race, and he endorsed Braun in the name of unity, the Chicago Tribune reports. A third high-profile black candidate, state senator and Baptist minister James Meeks, dropped out last week. Meeks has a record of antigay statements and votes, including a vote against the civil unions bill passed by the Illinois legislature a month ago.
In 1992, Braun became the first African-American woman elected to the U.S. Senate. She was the first senator to appoint an LGBT liaison, and while in the Senate she opposed the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy and the Defense of Marriage Act. In 2007 she was inducted into the Chicago Gay and Lesbian Hall of Fame as a Friend of the Community.
Less well-known black candidates remaining in the race are activist Patricia Van Pelt Watkins and William “Dock” Walls, described by the Tribune as a “perennial candidate.” The search for a consensus black candidate reflects the unspoken reality that “black and white voters are still focused on race more than two decades after the late Harold Washington was elected the city's first African-American mayor,” the newspaper reports.
Along with Braun, the major candidates seeking to replace Mayor Richard M. Daley, who is retiring, are former congressman and White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, former Chicago Board of Education president Gery Chico, and city clerk Miguel del Valle. The mayoral election — officially nonpartisan in heavily Democratic Chicago — will be February 22, with a runoff April 5 if no candidate wins a majority of the vote.
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 7 min 9 sec ago
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 16 min 26 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 1 hour 21 min ago
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 1 hour 53 min ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 2 hours 14 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM