N.C. Pol Sticks to "Predators" Remark
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 31 2010 3:00 PM ET
A North Carolina politician says he’s standing by his statement that gay people are “sexual predators.”
“People are entitled to their opinion, and that includes me,” Mecklenburg County commissioner Bill James (pictured) told The Charlotte Observer Thursday. His remarks came in an e-mail earlier this week to fellow commissioner Jennifer Roberts, who proposed that county officials send a letter to members of the North Carolina congressional delegation who voted to repeal “don’t ask, don’t tell.”
“Homosexuals are sexual predators,” James wrote. “Allowing homosexuals to serve in the US military with the endorsement of the Mecklenburg County Commission ignores a host of serious problems related to maintaining US military readiness and effectiveness not the least of which is the current Democrat plan to allow homosexuals (male and female) to share showers with those they are attracted to.”
There have been calls, including a petition on Change.org, for a formal reprimand of James, who in the past has made offensive statements about African-Americans and illegal immigrants as well as gays. Said Roberts, however: “I just don’t know if it helps or hurts the end goal by making any kind of formal statement.”
Roberts added that since other commissioners have raised questions about a joint letter on DADT repeal, she will send one on her own. James, meanwhile, said he’s contacted police because of threats he’s received.
Read more here.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope'
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 2 hours 8 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 4:00 AM
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM