Navy Officer Removed From Post
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 04 2011 8:20 PM ET
The Navy officer behind a series of videos featuring simulated sex and antigay slurs has been permanently removed from his post as commander of the USS Enterprise, according to ABC News.
ABC reported Tuesday morning that he had been temporarily relieved of duty pending an investigation. Tuesday afternoon two additional videos surfaced.
Admiral John C. Harvey Jr., commander of Fleet Forces Command in Norfolk, Va., said Honors's "profound lack of good judgment and professionalism while previously serving as executive officer on Enterprise calls into question his character and completely undermines his credibility to continue to serve effectively in command."
Honors will be replaced by Capt. Dee Mewbourne, who most recently commanded the carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower.
The videos, produced by Honors and shown to the crew of the aircraft carrier in 2006 and 2007 while he was second in command, were first posted Saturday by The Virginian-Pilot.
The videos feature two female sailors standing in a shower stall aboard the aircraft carrier, pretending to wash each other. In other skits, the newspaper reported, "sailors parade in drag, use anti-gay slurs, and simulate masturbation and a rectal exam. Another scene implies that an officer is having sex in his stateroom with a donkey."
Glenn Close, who unwittingly appears in a cameo at the end of one video, issued a statement Tuesday saying she found the video "deeply offensive."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM