Gay Rights Activist Carolyn Wagner Dies
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 19 2011 9:20 PM ET
Carolyn Wagner, a gay rights activist dedicated to fighting antigay hate crimes and the founder of Families United Against Hate, died Monday after a long battle against cancer and hepatitis.
In 1996, after months of watching her 16-year-old son, William, endure antigay bullying and attacks, she and her family enlisted the help of Lambda Legal and filed a complaint with the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights.
The department eventually ruled that Title IX guidelines on sexual harassment can be invoked to protect gay students against some forms of abuse. The Wagners’ Fayetteville, Ark., school district later agreed to take steps to prevent “harassment against gay and lesbian students.”
Wagner founded Families United to provide assistance to families and individuals dealing with incidents based on bias. She was also a former vice-president of Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.
“Carolyn will be remembered as an activist and civil rights hero to many, but for me she was simply the love of my life, my best friend and an amazing mother to our children,” her husband, Bill Wagner, said in a statement. “I will miss her beautiful smile, her raucous and infectious laugh and most of all her loving heart.”
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 3 min 39 sec ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 28 min 33 sec ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 39 min 16 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 43 min 53 sec ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 59 min 53 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 1 hour 3 min ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 1 hour 16 min ago