Witness Reflects on Prop. 8 Testimony
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 22 2011 2:25 PM ET
"I would rather have had an abortion than a gay son."
These were the words that Ryan Kendall heard from his mother as a teenager growing up in Colorado Springs, Colo.
In a new blog post on Out Front Colorado, the 27-year-old Denver police officer, who underwent "ex-gay" reparative therapy, reflects on his painful upbringing, one that became part of historic testimony in the federal Proposition 8 trial a year ago this month.
"My family was torn apart because of
antigay attitudes that condemn people without a cognizable reason,
solely for being who they are," Kendall writes. "All of these thoughts were running through my head as I paced back and
forth in the courtroom hallway last year. I had one goal for my
testimony: to show the world the truth. I needed to honorably represent
all LGBT youth rejected by society."
Read the full post here.
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Antigay Ky. Clerk Inadvertently Married This Queer Couple
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- WATCH: Will Ian McKellen Marry Derek Jacobi?
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation