Witness Reflects on Prop. 8 Testimony
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 22 2011 2:25 PM ET
"I would rather have had an abortion than a gay son."
These were the words that Ryan Kendall heard from his mother as a teenager growing up in Colorado Springs, Colo.
In a new blog post on Out Front Colorado, the 27-year-old Denver police officer, who underwent "ex-gay" reparative therapy, reflects on his painful upbringing, one that became part of historic testimony in the federal Proposition 8 trial a year ago this month.
"My family was torn apart because of
antigay attitudes that condemn people without a cognizable reason,
solely for being who they are," Kendall writes. "All of these thoughts were running through my head as I paced back and
forth in the courtroom hallway last year. I had one goal for my
testimony: to show the world the truth. I needed to honorably represent
all LGBT youth rejected by society."
Read the full post here.
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 1 hour 56 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 2 hours 55 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM