Witness Reflects on Prop. 8 Testimony
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 22 2011 1:25 PM ET
"I would rather have had an abortion than a gay son."
These were the words that Ryan Kendall heard from his mother as a teenager growing up in Colorado Springs, Colo.
In a new blog post on Out Front Colorado, the 27-year-old Denver police officer, who underwent "ex-gay" reparative therapy, reflects on his painful upbringing, one that became part of historic testimony in the federal Proposition 8 trial a year ago this month.
"My family was torn apart because of
antigay attitudes that condemn people without a cognizable reason,
solely for being who they are," Kendall writes. "All of these thoughts were running through my head as I paced back and
forth in the courtroom hallway last year. I had one goal for my
testimony: to show the world the truth. I needed to honorably represent
all LGBT youth rejected by society."
Read the full post here.
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 1 hour 22 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM