Gay Couple's Home Destroyed in Arson
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 07 2011 9:10 AM ET
Neighbors of a gay couple victimized by arson in Clayton, N.C., on Friday said the men had endured antigay harassment for at least a year before the fire destroyed their home.
According to WRAL.com, “A neighbor, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of backlash, said there have been at least three separate incidents of anti-gay harassment at the home over the past year. The neighbor said the couple had their tires slashed, a gay slur was written on their home in marker and they also received a note with a gay slur in their mailbox telling them to move.”
The couple was out of town at the time of the early morning fire and is now staying at a hotel.
A spokeswoman for the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office said investigators believe that mowers were stolen from the home in the days before the fire.
“She said that authorities are searching for a white Chevrolet S-10 crew-cab truck towing a small trailer, with a John Deere LA115 riding lawn mower and Troy-Built push mower. Investigators believe the mowers were stolen from the home.”
However, according to WRAL.com, “Authorities said that investigators are close to determining that the fire does not fit the state's criteria for a hate crime.”
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 15 min 23 sec ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 1 hour 51 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 2 hours 5 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM