Gay Super City Planned for Calif. Desert
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 11 2011 4:55 PM ET
Almost a dozen architecture firms have created designs for a proposed gay-centric, pedestrian-friendly community not far from Palm Springs, Calif.
Called Boom, the community would house 300 residences and eight neighborhoods in a space of 100 acres. While originally conceived by a Los Angeles developer as a gay-centered community, Boom would be open to anyone. Aside from homes, amenities include an entertainment center and a "rooftop mist disco."
Located in Rancho Mirage, Boom has not yet started to wend its way through the city approval process, but its developer hopes to break ground next year and finish construction in late 2014. The project's first phase would cost about $250 million to develop.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM