Mexico Markets First Gay Beer?
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 17 2011 4:20 PM ET
Are you gay and a beer drinker? A Mexican brewery is coming out with what it says is the first beer aimed at gay drinkers, who it claims are being ignored by brewers.
“We're out in the market with great respect with the idea of offering a product directed to the gay-lesbian community that has been ignored for too long but is important and very demanding,” a rep for the Minerva brewery tells a Mexican news agency.
“Artisan Honey-Ales” will sell in Colombia, Japan, and Mexico and may soon be available in the United States. The beer’s names pay tribute to gay icons and events. Purple Hand, for example, honors a 1969 San Francisco protest.
The beer’s labels can also be removed and worn.
Beers including Coors and Budweiser have long marketed to gay consumers in the United States but have stopped short of creating specific brands for gay people.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM