Arkansas University Blocks Gay Zine
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 03 2011 6:40 PM ET
Students who tried to publish a gay-themed zine online were stymied when their Christian university blocked access to the website.
According to the Arkansas Times, The State of the Gay at Harding University contained anonymously written perspectives from current and former gay and lesbian students at Harding, a Church of Christ–affiliated institution that disapproves of homosexuality.
"It is part storytelling, part religious and political critique, and partly a manifesto of hope for Harding’s future," the website proclaimed.
Originally slated to go live at 9 p.m. Wednesday, the site was activated ahead of schedule after news of it leaked around campus. Not long afterward, the university blocked access to it.
The school issued a statement explaining their reasons for blocking the site. “Harding University is a private Christian university whose mission and policies are rooted in biblical principles,” it said. “All students are given a copy of the handbook and know about our mission and policies before their first day on campus. The student handbook states that the university holds to the biblical principle that sexual relationships are unacceptable to God outside the context of marriage and that sexual immorality in any form will result in suspension from the university.”
Read more here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM