Colorado Democrats Elect Gay Chairman
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 07 2011 9:35 AM ET
Rick Palacio was elected chair of the Colorado Democratic Party on Saturday.
According to The Denver Post, Palacio was elected with more than 50% of the vote from members of the party’s state central committee at its biennial reorganizational meeting. He defeated Polly Bacca, a former state senator, and Adam Bowen, the former Larimer County Democratic chairman.
Following the vote, Palacio said, "I'm very excited. I'm excited for our party. We have a lot of work ahead of us as Democrats. I look forward to working with Democrats from all 64 different counties to make sure that we succeed in 2012."
Progressive Involvement reports that Palacio, 36, is an 8th generation Coloradan and a gay Latino. His grandmother, a former chair of the Las Animas County Democrats, survived the Ludlow Massacre, and both his grandfathers were union mine workers.
The Denver Post reports that Palacio will resign his position as deputy director of member services for U.S. House minority whip Steny Hoyer of Maryland.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 45 min 48 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 40 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 hour 57 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 20 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM