DOMA Repeal Bill Introduced Weds.
BY Julie Bolcer
March 14 2011 9:50 AM ET
A bill to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act will be introduced in the House and Senate on Wednesday.
According to a news release from the House, the Respect for Marriage Act, which would repeal DOMA in its entirety, will be reintroduced by representatives Jerrold Nadler, John Conyers, and the four openly gay House members: Barney Frank, Tammy Baldwin, Jared Polis, and David Cicilline. The legislation already has 105 original cosponsors in the House.
Senators Dianne Feinstein, Patrick Leahy, and Kirsten Gillibrand plan to introduce a companion bill in the Senate, according to a Monday release.
“The Respect for Marriage Act would repeal DOMA, and comes in response to a call from President Obama for Congressional action on the issue,” the House news release reads. “As the President has stated: ‘I stand by my long-standing commitment to work with Congress to repeal the so-called Defense of Marriage Act. It’s discriminatory, it interferes with states’ rights, and it’s time we overturned it.’ Last week, on the heels of the President’s decision not to defend DOMA in court, House Republican Leadership announced that it will defend DOMA in court, making passage of the Respect for Marriage Act more critical than ever.”
The reintroduction of the bill will be announced at a press conference at 11 a.m. at the Capitol that will feature the lawmakers, marriage equality advocates, and lead plaintiffs in two cases that challenge DOMA, Windsor v. United States and Gill et al. v. Office of Personnel Management et al.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 12 min 29 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 41 min 57 sec ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 1 hour 33 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM