N.Y. Sen. Kruger Allegedly Paid Mortgage for Rumored Lover
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 29 2011 6:20 PM ET
Antigay state senator Carl Kruger allegedly used money obtained through bribes to pay a portion of the mortgage for the waterfront mansion in Mill Basin, N.Y., where he is currently living with his rumored lover, Michael S. Turano.
Kruger, whose official residence is in Brooklyn, spends most of his time in Mill Basin, where Turano lives with his brother, Gerard, and his 73-year-old mother, according to New York magazine.
According to The New York Times, Kruger is accused of using bribe money to pay for the mortgage and a Bentley driven by Michael Turano, and using his office to secure the brothers “privileges accorded few New Yorkers, privileges that only the police commissioner can bestow.”
Reports the Times: “They received New York Police Department dashboard placards that for many years allowed them to park free almost anywhere in the city, as well as Police Department identification cards and even gold and blue enameled badges that identified them as honorary police surgeons. Both appointments were later revoked (Michael Turano's after his arrest). Several years ago, the Police Department, under the Bloomberg administration, ordered all honorary police surgeons to surrender their placards.”
Federal corruption charges were leveled against the 61-year-old senator earlier this month. In December 2009, Kruger was one of eight New York Democrats to vote against the state’s marriage equality bill, which failed to pass the senate.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Fitness A Workout Especially for HIV-Positive People 19 min 55 sec ago
- Music Austra's Summer Soundtrack 33 min 24 sec ago
- Books James Franco's A California Childhood: Win Signed Copy 39 min 52 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 1 hour 10 min ago
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 2 hours 17 min ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM