Takei Takes on WB for Whitewashing
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 15 2011 7:05 PM ET
Out actor George Takei is circulating a petition against the "whitewashing" of a Japanese graphic novel series being adapted for the big screen as a live-action movie.
Along with thousands of others, the Japanese actor and Star Trek star wants to ensure that the adaptation of Akira will star Asian actors instead of the slate of white actors being courted to join the cast, including Robert Pattinson for the role of Tetsuo and Justin Timberlake for the role of Kaneda.
"Akira epic fail--all actors up for Kaneda & Tetsuo are white?" Takei wrote Friday. "Sign & RT the petition here: http://ow.ly/4ALY4 #ShameOnWB"
The film is being produced by Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures.
For more on the campaign to hire Asian actors for the roles, visit its Facebook page.
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Minnesota Antibullying Bill Dies in Senate 16 min 24 sec ago
- Music Q&A Quickie: Colton Ford on Sex, New Music, and The Lair 1 hour 17 min ago
- Marriage Equality Minneapolis Church Celebrates Marriage Equality with Rainbow Communion Bread 1 hour 27 min ago
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 9:09 AM
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog 8:49 AM
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 7:33 AM
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM