Takei Takes on WB for Whitewashing
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 15 2011 7:05 PM ET
Out actor George Takei is circulating a petition against the "whitewashing" of a Japanese graphic novel series being adapted for the big screen as a live-action movie.
Along with thousands of others, the Japanese actor and Star Trek star wants to ensure that the adaptation of Akira will star Asian actors instead of the slate of white actors being courted to join the cast, including Robert Pattinson for the role of Tetsuo and Justin Timberlake for the role of Kaneda.
"Akira epic fail--all actors up for Kaneda & Tetsuo are white?" Takei wrote Friday. "Sign & RT the petition here: http://ow.ly/4ALY4 #ShameOnWB"
The film is being produced by Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures.
For more on the campaign to hire Asian actors for the roles, visit its Facebook page.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Report: Couple Refuses Deal in Torture Case
- WATCH: Bianca Del Rio and Adore Delano Star in Starbucks' First LGBT Commercial
- 20 Touching, Funny, and Silly Twitter Reactions to Tim Cook's Coming-Out
- The LGBT Films of AFI Fest 2014
- Tim Cook: Being Gay Has Helped Me Lead Apple