Takei Takes on WB for Whitewashing
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 15 2011 7:05 PM ET
Out actor George Takei is circulating a petition against the "whitewashing" of a Japanese graphic novel series being adapted for the big screen as a live-action movie.
Along with thousands of others, the Japanese actor and Star Trek star wants to ensure that the adaptation of Akira will star Asian actors instead of the slate of white actors being courted to join the cast, including Robert Pattinson for the role of Tetsuo and Justin Timberlake for the role of Kaneda.
"Akira epic fail--all actors up for Kaneda & Tetsuo are white?" Takei wrote Friday. "Sign & RT the petition here: http://ow.ly/4ALY4 #ShameOnWB"
The film is being produced by Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures.
For more on the campaign to hire Asian actors for the roles, visit its Facebook page.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- #TBT: Greetings, Gents
- 5 Times the U.N. Resolved, Then Failed, to End Homophobia Worldwide
- GLAAD Issues Record Number of 'Excellent' Ratings for TV Networks
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail